GSG-5 Rifle, GSG-5 pistol, Sig Sauer 522LR rifle, and other 22 tactical talk and help

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:56 am

GSG 5SD RECALL 

Post GSG 5SD RECALL
here we go again,

A letter issued by ATI states:

To all retail customers:

On January 2010 American Tactical Imports Inc received official notification from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and explosives that the original barrel shroud (aka: fake suppressor) supplied with your GSG 5 SD model must be replaced. It has been determined that this shroud is regulated under the National Firearms Act. American Tactical will provide a replacement shroud at no charge for each GSG 5 SD model sold or currently in inventory.

Consumers in possession of a GSG 5 SD model with the original shroud in place on the firearm are now in violation of the NFA. To avoid continued violation of the NFA, ATI asks that all persons in possession obtain a replacement shroud as soon as possible. We anticipate arrival of the new shrouds to begin by the middle of February 2010.

IMPORTANT: THE ORIGINAL SD MODEL SHROUD MUST BE RETURNED ACCOMPANIED BY THE FIREARM SERIAL NUMBER BEFORE A REPLACEMENT SHROUD IS ISSUED. THE DIAMETER OF THE SD SHROUD IS 1-9/16”. DO NOT RETURN THE SMALLER CARBINE SHROUD.

WHAT TO DO:

If possible return your old shroud to the dealer where purchased and show him this notice. The shroud will be returned to ATI along with a list of serial numbers from the guns that the shrouds were removed. ATI will send replacements to the dealer for pick up at your convenience; ATI will be sending replacements as fast as logistics allow. If your dealer is out of business or difficult to reach, or you purchased your gun used, from a consumer, return the shroud directly by US mail or UPS to American Tactical Imports Inc. 100 Airpark Drive Rochester, NY 14624.

PLEASE TRY NOT TO CALL US. We will provide comprehensive information on our web sites: www.AmericanTactical.us, and www.AR15.com or by e-mail to [email protected].

REMEMBER, INCLUDE THE FIREARM SERIAL NUMBER WITH EACH SHROUD OR A REPLACEMENT WILL NOT BE ISSUED.

This action IS NOT being instituted through any fault and is strictly due to NFA compliance. American Tactical will assume the responsibility to satisfy the requirements in an effort to minimize the impact on our customers and protect your investment.

We at American Tactical Imports Inc. sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this unfortunate situation.

Sincerely,
Anthony DiChario
President C.E.O. retailcandoc.021210

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:38 pm

Post Re: GSG 5SD RECALL
If you own a GSG 5SD, take that shroud off immediatly and do not transport or store the rifle with the shroud as you will be in violation and could be prosecuted as such.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:44 pm
2nd Lieutenant

turboshelbys wrote:
If you own a GSG 5SD, take that shroud off immediatly and do not transport or store the rifle with the shroud as you will be in violation and could be prosecuted as such.

Well if the shroud had now become a Silencer (even though it does not meet the ATF or any other definition of a silencer) then having it at all is a violation if it is not registered. So gun or no gun if this part is now a NFA item just having it and no legal paperwork automatically makes it illegal to have.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:42 pm
Corporal

I'm guessing the ATF has stumbled upon one or more GSG's with silencer illegally built from GSG fake silencers. Lets be real here. It would be easy to do.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:20 pm
2nd Lieutenant

wired wrote:
I'm guessing the ATF has stumbled upon one or more GSG's with silencer illegally built from GSG fake silencers. Lets be real here. It would be easy to do.

Still an illegal (or legal) silencer can be made from just about anything. This is just another pick on the LEGAL people for something someone could misuse. You dont see the ATF raiding and shutting down plumbing shops..........

Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:19 am
1st Lieutenant

nwcid wrote:
wired wrote:

Still an illegal (or legal) silencer can be made from just about anything. This is just another pick on the LEGAL people for something someone could misuse. You dont see the ATF raiding and shutting down plumbing shops..........

Does the ATF have anything better to do like getting the guns away from criminals not law abiding citizens?

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:06 pm
Private

Just bought my GSG-5 SD 10 days ago. Haven't even shot it yet. I came across this website and seen this thread today. Its a bummer that I already have to send a part back to be replaced. Does anyone know if the replacement will be changed in any way? I assume the diameter of the current fake suppressor is the problem. Is the replacement gonna be smaller? Gonna take mine back to the shop I bought it from tomorrow.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:06 pm
Corporal

Its probablt the threaded on end caps that are the problem. Not the size, I suspect they'll be sending you a solid aluminum block with a hole in the center for the barrel.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:49 pm

Discussed to death in this thread at AR15.com and by the guys from ATI:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=41&t=305635

Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:19 pm

That was the main reason I bought the SD Anni. model, I'm not swapping the shroud out for the smaller one at all. I also paid $100 more for the SD Ann. model is the ATF going to give me my $100 back, think not.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:28 am
Private

Creepin wrote:
That was the main reason I bought the SD Anni. model, I'm not swapping the shroud out for the smaller one at all. I also paid $100 more for the SD Ann. model is the ATF going to give me my $100 back, think not.

The guy from ATI said in that AR15.com thread that the new shroud will look exactly the same. They are just changing some stuff on the inside. Hopefully thats true.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:10 am

The ATF decided that the current fake cans can't be used because they are hollow around the barrel, the change being made is just to simply add a tube on the inside so that the barrel is encased in a tube and not in a hollow can.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:22 am

skipm wrote:
The ATF decided that the current fake cans can't be used because they are hollow around the barrel, the change being made is just to simply add a tube on the inside so that the barrel is encased in a tube and not in a hollow can.

I must have misread then, I thought I saw that the barrel diameter has to be smaller then the one originally on the SD. I'll let someone else confirm that before I get disappointed.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:54 am
Corporal

Actually this is all making more sense. The fake silencer on the SD does nothing. Its not a silencer nor does it function as such . Its just a barrel shroud. Unscrew that same fake silencer from the SD and screw it onto a pistol and you've added a silencer. It has no guts and doesnt do much but it does act as an expansion chamber and will reduce the sound report somewhat. Its unfortunate that the ATF approved them for import as is prior to changing their minds but they have a long track record of doing things like that. I think its a matter of time before the carbine versions fake silencer is ruled a real silencer and gets recalled.

I'm glad I had a real silencer built for mine.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:35 pm

Does this affect the 1st anniversary edition? I haven't heard back from ATI yet.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:29 pm